Monday, April 06, 2009

Friday's Coming.

John 12:20-36 is intense.  It's a piece of the New Testament  I haven't spent much time studying, but I looked over it tonight in honor of Holy Week.  Easter is coming, and in this passage, no one is more aware of it than Jesus.

When I first looked through Jesus' words and reactions here, it didn't make sense to me.  His words didn't seem to fit together.  And I had no idea why the voice of God would make such a sudden intrusion at such a seemingly innocuous moment.  But it does make sense.

Look at verses 23 and 24.  Jesus knows he has to die to fulfill his purpose on earth.  And he's not looking forward to it (verse 27).  Even so, "Father, glorify your name."  That's his choice.  To make the sacrifice for us, knowing the pain he has yet to endure.  This is no small moment.

Then a voice came from heaven: "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." The crowd that stood there and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him." Jesus answered, "This voice has come for your sake, not mine." -John 12:28-30 (ESV)

There's a lot to celebrate this week, in which God displayed His humility and love.

No comments: